Gruen Precision evolution & dating, pt 3: Precision Diamond

Gruen general research forum.

Gruen Precision evolution & dating, pt 3: Precision Diamond

Postby Fred » Tue 31. Oct 2023, 22:30

I call this Part 3, because there are at least 2 prior evolutions of Precision. First, there was the addition of Swiss movements to Precision grade; second, the addition of Precision-grade Verithins.

For Part 3, there are two important premises I will ask us to weigh and either refute or accept.

Here is the first premise: Gruen began marking movements for new requirements in mid-1909 (in Switzerland).

• The 1909 Payne-Aldrich Tariff came into force at US ports on August 6th 1909 (see Tariff itself, as well as FOSC Vol 27, No 238, p1621). However, the proposed tariff text was published already on April 6 (FOSC Vol 27, No 86, p608) and its marking requirements spelled out on April 15th (FOSC Vol 27, No 92, p653). It was a foregone conclusion the bill would pass in similar form and go into effect the day after passing.
Fred

by Advertising » Tue 31. Oct 2023, 22:30

Advertising

Re: Gruen Precision evolution & dating, pt 3: Precision Diam

Postby Fred » Wed 1. Nov 2023, 14:18

The second premise: it is not the lowest serial number to show a new marking that is most helpful, but the highest serial number to show the old marking.

We know from several sources & from sightings that Gruen finished and imported batches or singles of movements much later than their serial number block would indicate. See the 1923 stolen movement shipment for an original source example. But this can greatly impact markings, if finished after a markings change. Beware!

Here is what I hope is clear evidence: the center movement--cal 50 from the 1926 book--was clearly finished & marked later than the surrounding serial numbers. On the bridges, virtually all the text has moved and is different. I show the same caliber family at left, a different caliber but higher sn at right. Not shown due to picture quality, but in my files, I have a cal 50 with 1385xx sn, and the marks are identical to the one at left below. This demonstrates the old markings were still in place long after the 137k serial number was assigned & the blank produced--but the center movement was finished later.

0 - marking changes.JPG

If no feedback/rebuttal, we can go merrily along to something more entertaining!
Fred

Postby Dietrich » Wed 1. Nov 2023, 15:28

Really astonishing to see the differences of all three movements. Are they really the same caliber numbers? All three have different adjustment mountings at the balanace cock, the center bridge is quite different on the right one, also the barrel bridge shape is different. And the serial is just 18 apart from the center picture. So I believe that the movement number already goes with the base plate and differentiation of the calibers happens later so that different caliber numbers may even be mixed in a consecutive base plate run. Of cause this may only apply to the smaller batches in this early stag of Gruens movement production.
Dietrich
Administrator

Postby Fred » Wed 1. Nov 2023, 15:58

No, as I said, the one at right is a different caliber (and much smaller). Others are same family, same size (16S). Sorry they are looking the same size as the smaller one!

Just showing markings are tricky, bc some movements were finished later.
Fred

Postby Dietrich » Wed 1. Nov 2023, 16:09

OK, got it...
Sorry for being sloppy, bur I got distracted by shocking news at work this moment.
Dietrich
Administrator

Postby Fred » Wed 1. Nov 2023, 16:31

No worries! Getting late there, too, surprised for surprises at this hour. Good luck!
Fred

Postby Fred » Wed 1. Nov 2023, 21:11

Okay, now the fun stuff... Let's just start with the facts.

The New Precision Emblem: "Precision in Eye"
Credit goes to Mr. Beiser for discovering, posting, and naming this in the "Rare Case Marks" thread.

Nov 11, 1909 is the first sighting found so far of a new emblem in Gruen jeweler ads. The tagline is similar to what you have seen in later 1910s Gruen ads--but, here, both the text and the Precision mark we're told to seek out are actually different.
1909-11-11 american israelite PRECISION in Eye.JPG

This emblem will be seen in the ad rotation among leading Gruen jewelers for the next year.

On Oct 30, 1910, we see it in the Cincinnati Enquirer--now with a "TRADE MARK" stamp added below it. The text appears to clarify that the classification is to be found on a subset within the high-grade Verithins.
1910-10-30 NOW WITH TM STILL NOT DIAMOND.jpg

The last ad with this mark that I've found--in this timeframe--dates to Dec 15, 1910. After that, the jeweler ads continue... but this mark is not in any! Here is another great ad, one of the last, from Dec 11, 1910.
1910-12-11 not diamond lima-daily-news.jpg
Fred

Postby Mr. Bieser » Thu 2. Nov 2023, 09:52

I agree way fun stuff! :) Already had a couple "Oh!" moments. Thanks for sharing! I've yet to see "Precision in Eye" on a movement or case in wild. Just the "18k in Eye" so far. Kind of shocking ones yet to be observed but such a small window. Do you think they put that Precision in Eye mark on movements?
Mr. Bieser

Postby Fred » Thu 2. Nov 2023, 13:03

Mr. Bieser wrote:I agree way fun stuff! :) Already had a couple "Oh!" moments. Thanks for sharing! I've yet to see "Precision in Eye" on a movement or case in wild. Just the "18k in Eye" so far. Kind of shocking ones yet to be observed but such a small window. Do you think they put that Precision in Eye mark on movements?

Thanks! We're talking about something new-to-world, and no examples seen or shown to date. That could be because so few in the range are documented, and I also think this mark is so close to the diamond that in a blurry/off-angle pic it would be easy to miss.

But, yes, I think we will see this mark on watches--whether on the dial or on the movement, I cannot say. I will narrow down the serial number range as best I can in a coming post, but for now I will say we are possibly looking at only a few hundred movements.

2 reasons why I think this mark exists on watches:
-the marketing is exactly the type used for the next evolution, the Precision Diamond (as we'll see)--and we know that was placed on movements
-there is evidence that a few remnants with this "Precision in Eye" mark were closed out in 1916. The mark appears in ads again at that time. Here it is on Aug 27, 1916.

1916-08-27 old precision not diamond laredo-weekly-times.jpg

---- bridging to the next evolution ----
A new day, so we are moving forward from December 1910, when we last saw a Precision in Eye mark, into 1911.

August 8, 1911 JCK - the Precision Diamond is first seen, already with REGISTERED TRADE MARK beneath
1911-08-16 jck.jpg
Fred

Postby Dietrich » Thu 2. Nov 2023, 15:23

Kind of Gruen Precision 2.5 are probably these from a December 1908 ad:

Precision TM.JPG
Verithin TM.JPG

The Veri-Thin logo has been used before, I have one ad from October 1908 using it.
Dietrich
Administrator

Next