Veri-Thin Embassy / Epoch

Post your ID'd Gruen watches here

Veri-Thin Embassy / Epoch

Postby Dietrich » Fri 5. May 2023, 09:42

As a start I would like to do a quick presentation of one of my Gruens. Unfortunately, I only took a quick wristshot this morning, which doesn't flatter the watch. Unfortunately, the skylight is reflecting and you can clearly see the glue residue on the crystal. I won't see these flaws without my glasses, and the worn parts of the gilding are hardly noticeable in reality. It hasn't really been cleaned yet, just a little bit of work, I only got it on Saturday. I didn't have a matching strap at the moment, the watch came without one. I'll have to try again when I find a suitable leather strap. At least the width of this one is right (16mm) and it doesn't fit that badly.

VT Embassy.jpg
VT Embassy.jpg (122.08 KiB) Viewed 44 times

It's the Veri-Thin Embassy or Veri-Thin Epoch, depending on the strap, from the end of 1945. It was also available in red gold. The Embassy had a brown leather strap, the Epoch a flex strap matching the case colour. There were also various dials this watches came with depending on the case colour and year of production.
This one is driven by an in-house, cushion-shaped, 17-jewel calibre 430, which is basically identical in construction to the Curvex calibre 440. The latter has the milled bridges and a different crown wheel than the Veri-Thin. Funnily enough, there were cases that could take both movements, so you can see how much marketing was behind the Curvex.

Perhaps this was also the reason for the confusion that was initially evident in the advertisements for this watch. Here is the first Veri-Thin Epoch ad in early November 1945, it is actually advertised as a Curvex:

Curvex Epoch.JPG
Curvex Epoch.JPG (67.27 KiB) Viewed 44 times

Shortly after, an original Gruen ad showing the watch with a different face with a glossy, non-white painted border. Life and in colour from the Life magazine of 26.11.1945:

1585684962260.png
1585684962260.png (276.75 KiB) Viewed 44 times

The first ad of the Veri-Thin Embassy with leather strap appears in mid-November and is correct even if the protrusion of the glass is extremely exaggerated:

VT Embassy 2.JPG
VT Embassy 2.JPG (102.97 KiB) Viewed 44 times

But already in mid-December 1945 there is another ad with almost nothing correct. It shows the Embassy, but calls it Epoch and the price is not correct for either of them. The same goes for the ladies model, it doesn't show the Tara and it doesn't cost $24.75 either.

VT Emboch.JPG
VT Emboch.JPG (100.66 KiB) Viewed 44 times

This is what the ad should have looked like, and this is what it always looked like in the sequel:

1585683934735.png
1585683934735.png (483.54 KiB) Viewed 44 times

May 1946 a totally different model has been advertised as "Embassy":

1585684065027.png
1585684065027.png (1.15 MiB) Viewed 44 times

December 18, 1946 the first ad with the dial my watch has, in another ad from 1947 described as "modern dial":

My VT Embassy.JPG
My VT Embassy.JPG (123.66 KiB) Viewed 44 times

The pictures then alternate briskly until the last advertisement in July 1948.

This perhaps illustrates a little why naming Gruen watches is sometimes not so easy and clear, sometimes it is simply a majority decision. When I have only a few advertisements, I sometimes find it difficult to decide which name is correct. Fortunately that's not the case here, this watch has been advertised often enough.

Dietrich
Dietrich
Administrator

by Advertising » Fri 5. May 2023, 09:42

Advertising

Re: Veri-Thin Embassy / Epoch

Postby Mr. Bieser » Fri 5. May 2023, 22:33

Nice watch. We need a "like" button!

"This perhaps illustrates a little why naming Gruen watches is sometimes not so easy and clear".

Yup, many of mine remain unnamed. It does illustrate some of the complexities you are bound to come across in naming your Gruen very well.

Maybe worth mentioning, Gruen filed "Embassy" for trademark protection in 1952. But it's use goes back all the way to 1931. That also of course can be another facet in naming models because of Gruens convenient habit of recycling the names.

Interesting they revived the "Embassy" name in the 1990's, guess it was a good name for sales.
Mr. Bieser

Postby Fred » Sat 6. May 2023, 22:48

Yes, wanting to hit a like button! A great inaugural model study
Fred

Postby Dietrich » Sun 7. May 2023, 08:13

Frank wrote:Yes, wanting to hit a like button! A great inaugural model study

Gracias to the two of you. So far as I know this forum software does not support like button functions, but let's see if it can be implement in future.
Dietrich
Administrator