Unknown (to me) Premo caliber

Post your to be ID'd Gruen watches here

Re: Unknown (to me) Premo caliber

Postby Fred » Tue 3. Oct 2023, 07:25

Mr. Bieser wrote:...Seems the earlier 101's have 2 adjustments and the 4 adjustments come later.

Similar story to what's seen on 98/99: first 3, then 2, then 4. Fits with the 2 adj 101's being earlier, circa 1915 & following. Even the 997--which I thought were always just marked Temps--I've now seen a few early 4 adj ones.
Fred

by Advertising » Tue 3. Oct 2023, 07:25

Advertising

Postby Mr. Bieser » Tue 3. Oct 2023, 16:14

Check this one out. Stamped case 101. 15 jewels. 2 adjustments. OF. Thoughts?
Attachments
s-l1600 (15).jpg
s-l1600 (13).jpg
Mr. Bieser

Postby Fred » Tue 3. Oct 2023, 23:13

First reaction? Gorgeous!

Second? There are so many curiosities! Interesting that it’s a Hunter movement, case stamped “101” which to my mind should call for Hunter, but the dial is mounted open face. And that matches the watch (I think). I’m very used to seeing no subseconds HC wristies with a case stamp for HC caliber but carrying the OF variant with a dial mounted 90 deg counterclockwise (to fit HC look). Very common. But this may be a first, both for the dial on a HC movement being mounted 90 deg clockwise and for the case stamp not matching the dial position (should be HC, but it’s OF). I’m not sure that is possible without dial feet modifications unless it’s original. Just wondering, before digging back through: Was this watch model ever advertised?

Finally, I’m gonna send us sideways. I believe this case was made by Wadsworth for Gruen. Yes, it’s solid gold, but this was their design—I have to dig for the ad to see when they launched it. Also note this doesn’t carry any of the usual Gruen gold case stamps. That makes me cautious of the case number. I also am not used to seeing this kidney bean stud carrier on any wristlet movement before the upgrade circa 1921. Lots to ponder here, can’t wrap my head around it for the moment. Hoping others can!
Fred

Postby Mr. Bieser » Tue 3. Oct 2023, 23:54

I see! No wonder I'm confused, what's new?
Ppreciate the feedback explaining. Finally "clicked" what's going on, thanks
Mr. Bieser

Previous