Gruen general research forum.
Write comments

New Gruen Pan American ad/research

Fri 25. Aug 2023, 23:49

Since my old Pan Am research threads were abandoned they became stale with alot of misinformation from outside contributors.
So I have decided to start fresh with updated information and am very excited to share exclusively on this forum my great interest and research into Pan Am/Gruen... without any of the frankly, pathetic toxicity that has plagued our community in the past. Utterly disgusting. And we reject it wholeheartedly.

Like Mama used to say: Go ahead n beat a dead horse ya jackass, here we'll be beating one that's at least living.

This space will now serve as my untainted home for Gruen Pan American research.

*Another* newly uncovered Gruen Pan American ad, this time a variant!!!

On October 1st 1945 Gruen released it's civilian versions of the Pan American.

Up until now this has been the only ad known in relation to release date. In full color:

PanAmWorld (1).jpg

In B & W:

SEP6OCT1945.jpg

And the previously unknown variant:

20230508_190148.jpg

I'm happy to announce that many more Pan Am discoveries have been uncovered over the past several years of constant research, tune in here for valuable updates, like the true events behind Gruen/Pan Am, numerous new unheard of Pan Am model names, and even more unseen ads.

Fri 25. Aug 2023, 23:49

Re: New Gruen Pan American ad/research

Sat 26. Aug 2023, 08:41

Looking forward to it!!

Sat 26. Aug 2023, 14:56

Fred wrote:Looking forward to it!!

Thank you! Supportive members are a huge inspiration. :)

Today again is something special, big update, 7 new Gruen Pan American model names! Won't see this anywhere else.
The list that I compiled that documented Gruen PA model names from my original research went like this:

Pilot.
Speedway.
Challenger.
Pandora.
Wisp.
Mermaid.
Ariel.
Airman.
Airway.
Pioneer.
Falcon.
Hawk.
Eagle.
Official.
Ace.
Captain.
Navigator.
Fleetwing.
Courier.
Skipper.

Now with newly uncovered Federal Register documents from November 13, 1945 we can add these:

Sky Chief.
Traveler.
Champion.

20230826_132200.jpg

Plus! May 3, 1946:

Pathfinder.
Timer.
Trailblazer.

20230826_132138.jpg

Finally. May 5, 1946:

Chieftain!

20230826_132111.jpg

So now added to the Gruen Pan American model list:

Chieftain.
Pathfinder.
Timer.
Trailblazer.
Sky Chief.
Traveler.
Champion.

Enjoy. (Just an appetizer, more to come!)

Wed 6. Sep 2023, 16:12

Little detour. Going back to the all important ads:

20220403_203817.jpg

"RELEASED OCT. 1 The New Gruen Pan American" (1945).

Mostly true. The initial Gruen Pan American civilian models (American cased) were already on sale in Canada and select US markets by June 1945.
With the war winding down Gruen had huge hopes of a hit on their hands. While the 24 hour clock never caught on in mainstream American society like Gruen foresaw, the summer of 1945, Gruen went on it's Pan American promotional blitz proving that indeed they had a success, their best selling "pre-sold" watch, ever. The post war boom was on.

20230906_145639.png

Raw data from watches is invaluable, (we'll get there) historical documentation is also a rich source of information:

"Katz, Gruen Watch Co president said Tuesday that the watch was designed to meet the demands of the armed forces. **It has been in existence more than three years**, he said, but until now has not been introduced to the home front."

7/17/1945.

The_Cincinnati_Post_1945_07_17_page_3.jpg

"existence more than three years"

Katz clearly referencing the fully Swiss import models (Swiss cased). Movement/case sn data will back up this statement by Katz, the existence of these models for 3 years prior. There already is additional historical documentation for this from November 1942.

FirstPANovember1942 (1).jpg

"has not been introduced to the homefront".

Mostly true. There is evidence that Swiss imports with 24 hour dials were available publicly in some markets on a very limited basis during the war but supply was largely limited to Gruens government obligations.

Article on the predicted post war boom and the Gruen Pan American. August 1945. Shows some never before seen Gruen Pan American display cases!

20230906_175846.jpg
Attachments
The_Cincinnati_Post_1945_08_14_page_11.jpg

Thu 7. Sep 2023, 21:30

This is just phenomenal original research. I'm quite impressed with the time, energy and sluething!

Fri 8. Sep 2023, 07:39

Well said! Excellent research

Fri 8. Sep 2023, 10:22

Thanks alot you guys. I appreciate the comments.
Jason- your Pan Ams were some of the first ones I saw, been hooked ever since, thanks for being a true Gruen watch ambassador.

Fri 8. Sep 2023, 12:20

Cool stuff, most of it totally new to me. Thank you so much for sharing, Mr. Bieser!
Write comments

Bei iphpbb3.com bekommen Sie ein kostenloses Forum mit vielen tollen Extras
Forum kostenlos einrichten - Hot Topics - Tags
Beliebteste Themen: Mode, Name, Forum, Rap, Cam

Impressum | Datenschutz